|Homemade lemon rice soup is quick to make with only 4 main ingredients — chicken broth, rice, eggs, and lemon. For best results make sure you use the best quality and flavorful ingredients you can.|
Avgolemono (Lemon Rice) Soup
Lemon Rice soup is quick and simple to make with only 4 ingredients!
Servings: 4 servings
- 4 Cups Chicken stock or broth
- 1/3 Cup White Rice preferably medium grain
- 4 Large Eggs
- 1/4 Cup Lemon Juice more to taste
- Grated lemon zest
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat the stock in a saucepan or Dutch oven until boiling. Stir in the rice and cover. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about 15-20 minutes or until the rice is tender. Maintain simmer, but do not allow mixture to boil.
- Whisk together the eggs, lemon juice and lemon zest in a bowl. Gradually add a ladleful (about ¼ cup) of the hot stock to the bowl with the egg mixture, mixing constantly. This will “temper” the mixture. Continue to add stock mixture in ¼ cup portions until egg mixture is approximately body temperature. Using a metal bowl to do this works great since you can feel the temperature of the mixture by putting your hand under the bowl.
- Slowly add the warm egg mixture into the warm stock-rice mixture, stirring constantly. Continue to heat and stir until soup starts to thicken, about 2-3 minutes. Be sure not to let the soup boil. Taste and add additional lemon juice if desired and season to taste with about ½ teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper. Cover and allow soup to sit at least 15-30 minutes before serving. It will continue to thicken as it cools.
Store, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Freezing is not recommended.