Classic bean salad is a popular item at cook-outs and picnics. The problem is they are often full of added refined sugar and other processed ingredients. Making it yourself is simple and allows you to add even more vegetables to really ramp up the health benefits!
In this recipe, I provide a Mediterranean twist on this classic. In a dish like this measurements and ingredients do not have to be exact. Use what you have and adjust to your taste. The important thing is you are using REAL, WHOLE ingredients! Enjoy!
Mediterranean Bean Salad
- 1/3 Cup Extra-Virgin olive oil
- 1/4 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons Maple Syrup or to taste
- 2 Teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 Teaspoon Minced garlic worked into a paste
- 2 Teaspoons Dried Oregano
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 Cups Fresh green beans trimmed and cut in 1-inch pices
- 1 Can (15 oz.) Kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 Can (15-oz.) Chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 Red or Yellow bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 Cup Chopped red onion or shallot
- 1 Medium Cucumber seeded and chopped
- 1 Cup Cherry or grape tomatoes halved or quartered
- 1/2 Cup Kalamata olives pitted and halved, optional
- 1/2 Cup Fresh basil cut in chiffonade
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Italian parsley chopped
- 1/2 Cup Crumbled Feta Cheese Optional
- Combine oil, vinegar, maple syrup, Dijon, garlic, oregano, about ½ teaspoon salt, and a few grinds of pepper in jar with tight fitting lid: Shake until well combined; set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Meanwhile, fill a medium bowl with ice water and set aside. Once water is boiling, add cut green beans and boil until just tender, about 2-3 minutes. Drain green beans and immediately transfer to ice bath. Let sit for 2 minutes, then drain. Transfer to a large bowl. (Can be prepared several days in advance and refrigerated until ready to use. You can also substitute frozen green beans, cooking according to package directions and then cooling immediately in ice water.)
- Add kidney beans, chickpeas, bell pepper, onion, cucumber, tomatoes, olives, basil, and parsley to the bowl with the green beans. Add dressing and toss well to combine. Serve topped with feta cheese, if desired.