Today is #NationalDonutDay! I LOVE a good donut! In fact, in the past (college days) I was guilty of making a few donut runs in the middle of the night especially when cramming for exams! The cream-filled yeast type were my favorite! And yes, I could easily eat 2 or 3 (or maybe more!) at one time!
I know you find this confession strange coming from someone who is encouraging you to eat real, unprocessed food! Most donuts are anything but! Notice I say, MOST. One of my healthy eating guiding posts is that there is room for everything in your diet. There are plenty of delicious, simple ways we can “reinvent” our favorites! Today, I am sharing a VEGAN chocolate donut that can easily be made Gluten-free!
In case you are interested, I will share more of my transformation to a healthier diet in future blog posts. For now, be assured I know it is hard, I have been there!! But the “cleaner” you eat, the better you will feel and look, providing the needed motivation to keep going! It is never too late to make changes! If you are worried about the deprivation, don’t! Your taste buds and cravings change and in a relatively short time those things you “can’t live without” lose much or their appeal and you actually CRAVE the good stuff!!
Now on to the donuts! Let me know if you give them a try! Enjoy!
Chocolate Glazed Chocolate Donuts (Vegan!)
- donut pan
- double boiler (or bowl set over pan of boiling water)
For the donuts:
- 1 Cup Cooked Garbanzo Beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 Cup Plant based milk such as almond or oat
- 3/4 Teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Baking soda
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 Teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Cup Granulated or Coconut Sugar
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil or Vegan spread melted
- 1 Cup Chocolate chips melted
- 1 Cup All-purpose flour regular or gluten-free
For the Glaze:
- 1/2 Cup Chocolate Chips melted
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil or Vegan spread melted
- 1 Tablespoon Plant-based milk such as almond or oat
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- Generously coat two 6 count donut pans with cooking spray.
- In a blender, combine garbanzo beans, ½ cup milk, baking powder, baking soda, 2 teaspoons vanilla, vinegar, salt, sugar and 1 ½ tablespoon melted oil. Blend until very smooth, scraping sides as necessary. Transfer to a large bowl and with a spatula, blend in melted chocolate chips and flour until smooth Transfer to a quart zip-top bag and allow to sit for about 5-10 minutes then snip the corner of the bag and pipe mixture evenly into donut pans.
- Bake at 350 degF for 9-11 minutes or just until donuts are set. Remove and cool for 3-5 minutes before turning onto a cooling rack.
- For the glaze: In a medium bowl, mix together the ½ cup melted chocolate chips, 2 tablespoons melted oil, 1 tablespoon milk, 2 teaspoons vanilla and powdered sugar. Mix just until smooth. Add more milk, if necessary, to make the consistency spreadable, but not runny. Using a spoon, drizzle the glaze over warm donuts. Allow frosting to set and serve.