I love this nutrient-packed chili! It can be adapted to many eating styles and preferences and uses just one pot to make! Give it a try and let me know what you think!!
Sweet Potato-Black Bean Chili
- Grapeseed, avocado or coconut oil
- 1 Large onion, finely chopped
- 1 Pound ground beef or turkey*, optional
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 Teaspoons chili powder, or to taste
- 2 Teaspoons ground cumin, or to taste
- 1/2-1 Teaspoon Chipotle chili powder, or to taste
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 12 ounces beer**, or sub 1 cup broth
- 2 Cups peeled and diced sweet potato
- 1 Can (15-ounce) black beans
- 1 Can (28-ounce) diced tomatoes
- 1-2 Cups vegetable or chicken broth
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat large Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Add oil to coat bottom and then add onion and ground meat, if using, and cook, stirring often, until meat is cooked through and onion is tender. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, chipotle chili powder and cinnamon and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add beer (or 1 cup broth) and stir, scrapping up any bits on bottom of the pan. Add sweet potatoes, black beans (including liquid if organic), diced tomatoes and 1 cup broth. Mix until combined.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook about 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally until sweet potato is tender. If chili is too thick, add additional broth to reach desired consistency. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Serve immediately or refrigerate in air-tight container up to 7 days or freeze up to 3 months.